Wednesday , October 16 2019
Breaking News
Home / International Customs / Saudi Arabia / Saudi Arabia said to clinch $100m Joshua-Ruiz Jr rematch
Saudi Arabia said to clinch $100m Joshua-Ruiz Jr rematch

Saudi Arabia said to clinch $100m Joshua-Ruiz Jr rematch

Saudi Arabia has reportedly secured hosting rights for the Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr boxing event after offering up to $100 million.

The UK’s Telegraph reported that the rematch – which will see Joshua face Ruiz for the IBF, WBA and WBO titles in Riyadh – will take place on December 7.

The newspaper also reported that an offer was tabled by the Dubai authorities while Cardiff’s Principality Stadium was also in the running for the rematch after Ruiz stopped Joshua at Madison Square Garden in New York on June 1 in one of the most sport’s biggest upsets.

Saudi Arabia is gaining a reputation in the boxing world, with British boxer Amir Khan the latest to fight in the kingdom, defeating Australia’s Billy Dib at Jeddah’s King Abdullah Sports City on Friday to claim the WBC international welterweight title.

According to various media reports, Khan earned $8.8 million from the 9 minute 51 second bout.

Last year, Britain’s Callum Smith knocked out his compatriot George Groves in a fight in Saudi Arabia to claim the World Boxing Association super middleweight title and the coveted Muhammad Ali Trophy.